Category Archives for "Uncategorized"
Our society has evolved into a cubicle based world. Once upon a time, I lived in this world and every time I sat for a few hours stressing out about something I was working on…..My back would hurt, really hurt. What was the problem? Well, 2 fold actually…..
One, I was compressing my spine by sitting so long with out any movement, stretching, and secondly and probably most important….
Circulation!!! Our bodies are not meant to be stationary or stagnate for any extraordinary period of time. That’s why we have so many moving parts. Obviously, I have long departed that life but I dole out advice to my clients all the time. # 1 is set a timer or watch to go off every 15 – 20 minutes and get up and move around for few minutes. Yeah, I know….Its not ALWAYS possible depending on your work situation. But if you do this consistently about 2/3 of the time you’ll be way better off. Remember….Circulation is an absolute for the human body.
You often hear……”It’s 80% Diet and 20% working out. Although I believe this percentage is debatable, I do agree that nutrition is more important because in the personal training world we often say, “You can’t out train a bad diet.” And, me being me, says, “Trust me I’ve tried.”
So, how can we effectively solve this never ending dilemma? Honestly, its relatively simple. Follow these simple Rules 80 – 90 % of the time:
1. Don’t eat Fast Food
2. Avoid all Processed & Diet Foods
3. Keep it simple: Good Protein, Good Carb, Good Fat Examples: Chicken Breast, green beans, grass fed butter on the beans. Egg Whites with 2 yolks, salsa, serving of steel cut oats w/walnuts + handful of blueberries. Grass Fed Beef Burger (no bun) /w cheese & mustard lettuce, tomato and avocado, small sweet potato w/olive oil & cinnamon.
4. Drink Lots & Lots of Water! Also, I recommend tea & coffee. (no sugar)
5. Avoid SUGAR at all costs!!
5. Reward Yourself! If you worked out consistently all week and stuck to good eating all week then go ahead and have some wings & beer (one of my favs) or pizza or pasta with some wine, or mexican food & a margarita (or 2) And even go ahead have that apple ala mode with some expresso. I recommend 2 rewards per week if the first 4 rules have been achieved. NEVER EVER call it a cheat meal…..It’s a Reward!!
Any & all questions and comments are welcome….. Mark Hill, Owner, Lifestyles Fitness Personal Training Tempe, AZ