Category Archives for "Uncategorized"
If you want to learn, get better, practice or achieve any goal in life…Consistency is the absolute key. When it comes to working out, you must do it on a regular basis. People who workout only 1 or maybe twice week it’s not enough. Why? Simply because the more often you work out, the more often you see…Results. And results can be fat loss, better performance, lower blood pressure, strength gains, more muscle, less back pain, etc.
The recommended amount of physical activity is 150 min of cardio per week with 2 weight training sessions. Now, the physical activity can be tennis, heavy yard work, spinning,walking, etc. and if you get in both weight training sessions per week you’re doing great! And, of course, I’m a big fan of variety so mix it up! And if you remain consistent, you create excellent auto-habits. Things you do on a regular scheduled basis. That is called Consistency.
About 7 years ago I decided to join a gym 5 minutes from my house. The real reason was because the membership included spinning classes. So, I checked it out and couldn’t believe it! Wow! What a workout! And the instructors were creative, had cool music, and made it fun but definitely challenging.
Many times I would tell my clients to lose body fat, increase their cardio, and get in great shape outside of our personal training to join a spin class. I based this on a study I read stating that spinning was a great way to get the aforementioned. Plus, spinning is tough but low impact. Then I decided to try it myself and I loved it!
In fact, I loved it so much that I actually purchased a spin bike for myself and our personal training studio. And I purchased 3 spinning DVD’s. Basically, I set up my own spinning studio in my living room. I can jump on anytime, put in a DVD, and go to work. Also, YouTube has tons of spin classes too! If you looking for convenience and great results: join a spin class, buy a spin bike with DVD’s & YouTube and get after it!
Many times after a workout….You are sore…sometimes REALLY Sore! There are multiple ways to recover. From simple to more elaborate. Here is a great list to take advantage of:
1. Roller – Self-massage that can be done while watching TV. Get a book, learn from a qualified instructor, or YouTube video to learn how to use all it’s capabilities
2. Schedule a Massage – I recommend 90 minutes to get everything. Now, there different types. Make sure you pick one you need or like
3. Chiropractor – I always feel better after an adjustment and/or after Tens Unit is applied to more sore areas.
4. Yoga – Although this work, if you pick the right type of yoga…It feels Great!
5. Cryotherapy – This is gaining popularity and many people believe it has great value. It takes your body down to extreme temperatures to decrease inflammation and muscle soreness.
6. Self Stretching Band – You can assist yourself with a stretching band in different positions. Again, get book, qualified instructor, or instructional videos.
7. Self Massage/Pressure point balls – An effective and sometimes intense way to release pressure or soreness in your body. Again, get book, qualified instructor, or instructional videos.
8. Epsom Salt Bath – One of my favorites! Easy to do, feels great, and I usually mediate….2 for 1!
Exercise is great and remember recovery is just as important as it is an integral part of fitness. So, utilize all the above as needed and try different combinations.
Listen…We’re all built different. Some of us are larger, smaller, and most can be found in between. NOT all of us can have 6 packs. It’s physically (and Genetically) impossible. Now, that doesn’t mean you can be healthier, leaner, and a more fit person. We all know that person that is “Super Lean” that can get away with eating and drinking whatever they want and still stay lean. We also know people that can gain FAT easily after a weekend of drinks, burgers, etc. That’s just the way it is (That’s me by the way…)
So, Focus your Goals on…YOU. Don’t get caught up and dragged down by those “Stupid” magazines you see in the Drug Store. Those people are air brushed, starve themselves, photo shopped, or very highly genetically gifted.
Writing down goals that make sense for you will keep you healthy, lean for your body, type, and keep you focused on being the best version of yourself. And most importantly….Be Happy for You!
Well, it’s another holiday and for some folks that means lots of food and alcohol starting today and all the way until Sunday. Now listen, I’m not telling anyone not to skip everything but start thinking about the 4 day accumulation of those non-stop activities. People can gain 2 – 4lbs in overindulging in just 4 days. Those who don’t…are blessed!
The best way is to give yourself some fun, some lead way, but don’t bury yourself so bad that by Monday you’re feeling bloated, weighted, and can feel your body paying the price. Well then…What do I do? EASY, give yourself 2 days to do what you want and the other 2 days: Workout/Drink water/Eat Well and Don’t answer your phone/Text until later, and give yourself time to do some good for yourself. I mean…What the Heck? You have plenty of time to hang out/party and you have plenty of time to commit to workouts and better eating.
For example, what if you decided to party today, take a break tomorrow, party the next day, and then chill on Sunday. Sounds like a good mix…Either way, choose 2 days to relax and let go and then focus on your health the other 2 and trust me you’ll way better on Monday.